Today, Matt Cutts released a new webmaster video which explains (in some detail) the plans for Google related to Search in the coming months. There was some really interesting insight into something that we would not normally get access to.
The highlights for us:
- Penguin 2.0 - Targets Web-spam
Matt Cutts has said that this could have a much bigger impact than any previous penguin updates so this one will be VERY interesting.
- Advertorials - Next on the Chopping Block
Nothing major to worry about here, but if you are placing paid advertisements on your website disguised as genuine content - look out
- Deny value to link spammers
This is certainly a good thing for those of us who are doing the right thing in our link building efforts.
- More Sophisticated Link Analysis
- Better detection of hacked websites and communication with webmasters who own hacked websites
With the big rises in hacked websites (WordPress in particular), this will greatly benefit all, by providing webmasters with much more information on website issues and how to fix them.
- Improved Panda Signals
Soften the blow for good sites that have been hit